Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Back to Black

Way back when I first started working (which wasn't so long ago, mind you), I rewarded myself a mountain bike with my first pay. It was a full sized black 18-speeder with alloy rims, handles, and brake mechanisms, grip shifters, front and rear shock absorbers, and quick-release skewers for the seat and both front & rear wheels. You know, the works! It wasn't high-end stuff for the pros but it nevertheless cost me quite a bit at that time. It was a strikingly sleek-looking bike. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who thought the same when several months after, I came home and found it missing.

And so it was pure bliss when on an unusually hectic Sunday afternoon, I happened to chance myself upon that very same bike I set my eyes on 4 years ago. It was actually the blue version which I first saw and so I quickly looked for other colors. There wasn't any other but the attendant said they still had 1 more boxed up. I left the store not checking it out.

Total uneasiness got the better of me though and so I found myself back at the store in no time, eager to have a peek at the box. I could not believe what happened next. I call it fate, destiny at work.

It was black.


Call me corny or a sentimental freak. I don't care. But the emotion was really high, peaking when I finally mouthed "sige paki assemble na". Then finally, after what seemed like an eternity of endless waiting, there it stood, waiting to be ridden.

"Para akong batang binigyan ng candy."

0 Comments: