Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Excel Add-in Installer

Developer: Adajet
License:
Free
OS: Windows All
Last Updated:
Feb 23, 2007 11:15AM

Excel Add-in Installer
, as the name suggests, is a simple yet effective tool to quickly install all your custom-made add-ins in Microsoft Excel without even running Excel. With the developer in mind,
Excel Add-in Installer allows you to easily distribute and deploy your excel add-ins, saving you the hassle of personally having to instruct your often IT-challenged end-users on how to go about the lengthy installation from within Excel's clunky interface.

History:
As a side-project of my own while teaching myself VB6 programming, the idea for
Excel Add-in Installer had sprung from the need to effortlessly distribute the often complex Excel macros I write to my users. This allowed me to concentrate on my work better and devoid me of the time to install the add-ins personally. After nine iterations (v1.0.9), I've come to rely much on this small utility whenever I rollout new stuff.

Key Features:

  • Installs excel add-ins (.xll and .xla) without opening Excel
  • Fast and simple 2-step installation -> Browse - Install
  • With option to automatically start add-in on Excel startup
  • Command-line utility for silent install/uninstall
  • Integration with popular installer systems such as Inno Setup and NSIS
  • Works with any version of Microsoft Excel
  • Stand-alone executable (does not need to be installed)
Screenshots:

Main window

Command line help window


Disclaimer:
Excel Add-in Installer is completely FREE and contains no Adware, Spyware, Registration, Popups, Malware or other unwanted software.

I have not encountered any bugs yet since I only use it straightforwardly (had not undergone rigid testing). But since I'm just a self-taught programmer,
I'm sure to hear a lot of feedback from more experienced users/testers. So feel free to buzz me for any new feature suggestion or bug you may encounter as this would also greatly help me learn the (programming) language better.
Download Excel Add-in installer (48kb)

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.I need to distribute several macros with forms inside an add-in.
But pleaasssee,
pretty please, tell me how you do it.

I'd like to learn how it works because I have not found anything
but this page. (thanks again)

Regards.

Anonymous said...

This is nifty! You mention that it can be integrated with Inno; I am curious about how! Thank you for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Check out the OPEN variable in Reg key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
(or there about). It appears that is how the program works by adding the OPEN to a direct link to the XLA file versus adding the XLA to the users' Addins folder and linking to it. Head over to CodeProject.com for examples.

Anonymous said...

this is a great utility.

is there a way to run it completely silently? no message at the end saying it was installed?

thanks!